Sunday, February 22, 2009

R.I.P. - Philmont the Rooster

Poor Phil was killed Thursday. We think it was a fox, but we will probably never know for sure. The whole family had really come to like him and I think I can honestly say that you do eventually get used to a rooster crowing in your house.



He was fierce for such a little guy and sure did take his job seriously. I think the hens are too dumb to really miss him, but we sure do!



We bought a shotgun on Saturday. We have talked about it for some time, because we have had rabid animals on our property several times. We called a neighbor to help us out on those occasions, but that's not always an option. We're not going to hunt down the predator that got Phil, but we decided we need to have a way to dispatch of a predator problem if we have one.



Anyway, I shot a gun for the first time today. Here is Wes taking aim:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your property is so gorgeous. Nice form, Wes.

Roslyn said...

Whether or not you use a gun regularly I believe it is important to know how to handle them safely.
Our family are all weapon - wise from youth, hunting with Dad etc.
We enjoy target shooting & I love Skeet!
Good for you, never know when a rabid rooster may come by,LOL!