Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Am I the Last to Know?

I have been enlightened to the awesome funkiness of fabric selveges. Am I the last quilter on the planet to have seen the book Quilts from the Selvage Edge by Karen Griska?



After reading her blog and checking out the projects therein, I ran to my sewing room garbage can, only to remember that moment of neatness I had this weekend when I emptied it. Grrr. It's out at the curb waiting for tomorrow's pickup, but I'm already in my pj's for the night...

The only thing left to do was to begin harvesting selvages from my stash. These are just the ones that were easy to grab and cut. I can't believe I've been throwing them away all this time!


I'm going to use this tutorial to make a zippered bag.

I'm sew easily distracted. Too bad that blog name is already taken...


2 comments:

Selvage Quilter said...

Hi Kim,
I really hope that all the other quilters on the planet already know about my selvage book, but it's not likely! Did you read the Foreword by Mark Lipinski? He wrote a funny essay about grieving over all his thrown-away selvages. Once you start saving (and if you tell your quilting buddies that you need selvages), you will have to add on to the chicken coop to make room for all your selvages. Have fun, and post photos of what you make!
Karen Griska
White Plains, New York

Crafts a la Mode said...

I'm very excited about selvages myself now that I've seen what can be done with them. It was fun visiting your blog. Take care, Linda